Thursday, January 24, 2008

Celia's Third Blog for Library Systems Class-"Odd" Automation

During the holidays, I took some time off and my assistance took over. During that time, she noticed something really “odd” happened with our automation system. A patron had checked out 3 movies all on the same day. When the movies were returned overdue, again on the same day, one movie had a $2.75 fine, another had a $2.25 fine and the third had no fine. It is odd enough that the fine amounts are different and my automation organization is working on that, but how do you get cents when the fine is suppose to be a $1.00 for each business day? When I asked the automation help desk about this, they informed me, this past week after some research, that the fine was set at $.25 for each business day. Here we have been telling patrons the wrong amount-so much for our great automation system! I enquired how to change the amount and was given step-by-step directions. My assistant and I have since gone in and made changes to the system. We found that the fine amounts and maximum fines were not consistent or set where we thought. It took considerable time but I think that the overdue and maximum fines are more consistently set and they are what we thought they were all along. Now all movies, whether DVD or VHS, are fined at $1.00 per business day they are overdue with a maximum fine of $5.00 per item. All other items are fined at $.05 a business day. Automation is great but one has to be very careful as to how it is set up. The old saying “Garbage in, garbage out!” is so very true. I am very anxious to still learn why the amounts were different on the patron’s fine but at least we are working on getting some of the problems solved after 4 years of having the system. My suggestion would be that when setting up an automation system, or even giving information for such a system, do it with extreme care as it is better to do it correct in the beginning than spend time and effort later trying to fix errors. It will also help public relations, if it is consistent and reliable! Some things just can’t be rushed.

On a lighter note, while talking with my board president, I told him that for one of my classes (Information Architecture for the Web) this semester I have to set up a web page for an organization. I had several thoughts on what the subject matter should be and wanted his opinion. One was a site featuring the Roanoke Public Library’s children and young adults’ events at the library. Another was one featuring the Friends of the Roanoke Public Library. He liked both ideas and even thought of one for the board. I was shocked by this as he had a problem with the web page I did for 401 and told me he hoped I didn’t expose it to the public. My response to him was that I thought 3 was way beyond me so we decided the children’s page would be best. I then informed him that in my other class, (this Library Systems class) we were learning about blogs and wikis. He is now thinking that the board should do a blog. He firmly believes that the patrons and community should know what the board/library is doing. So don’t be surprised if in the future the Roanoke Public Library’s home page has a link to a director’s and a board’s blog. Won’t our patrons just be so informed as to what is happening at their library??!!

2 comments:

Carmen said...

I'm sorry that your director didn't like the page you did for L401, but I also can look back at my own page and imagine why. It surprises me that he suggested doing something for the children's page, though. I think he's underestimating children. If your page for 401 was that bad... I mean, kids today know a little about websites and use them often. They expect an awful lot more than adults do. Whereas an adult might expect a few links to information they need, children will expect to find not just links to information, but amazing graphics, games, everything that you can think of. I think your director needs to visit a few children's websites, before suggesting that a possible "newbie" be attempting a website to make the kids happy. Please don't take offense to my comments, I haven't seen your 401 page; I'm only going on what you posted. Have fun anyway!!! The most challenging projects are usually the most rewarding.

Mary Alice Ball said...

One of the reason I have you do the first case study is so you get an understanding of how precisely information must be communicated if a computer is to accurately carry out library policies. The situation you describe is a good example of how complicated integrated library systems are.

As for your board member I think he is representative of most people, myself included. It takes time to learn about and appreciate these new technologies.