Thursday, January 10, 2008

Celia's First Blog for Library Systems Class

Hi,
I am Celia and I am creating this blog brand new for my Library Systems class. I tried a blog for my 401 computer class which I had designed for my board members to show them what I was learning in my MLS classes but they were tech savvy enough to really know what I was talking about so only one of them actually ever visited it.

I am Library Director at the Roanoke Public Library which is where the board comes in. It is a very small library in a small town of about 1,495 people. The population is very tech savvy, at least most of the ones I see aren't but I would like to do more with the library's website and other technology to try to attract more young people into the library. I am always impressed with library websites that have blogs, podcasts, wikis and other things going on besides just the basic webpage. Our webpage comes as part of our library automation system so I don't have to maintain it but I am hoping with this class and other I am taking that I will be able to personalize it and make it much, much more interesting.

I am hoping that this class will help me with that process. Last semester I took Dr. Ball's Online Searching class and although I didn't do as well I as I should have I learned a lot. The work I put forth I think has made me a better searcher if just in the fact that I have more options open to me if I fail to find what I want on my first attempt. I just keep digging knowing that the information is there if I can just figure out how to get to it. In that class we looked up information for a couple of libraries but the fall semester of this class did the actual wiki setup. I think it will be fun to see the whole process instead of just that small portion. I was helping one of the students in that fall semester class clean up my group's information to make it appropriate for the wiki and that was fun and interesting. He taught me a lot just by saying, "why don't you do it this way?" My usual response to him was "I would if I knew how" so he would teach me. It was great!

For a library as small as Roanoke Public Library is, I am proud of the fact that we do have wireless Internet. It is finally getting around town that we have that capability and that it is fairly reliable. When I first started at the library it would go out with every power flicker and then we would have to let our tech guy know so he could reset it. I and my assistant have now figured out how to reset it ourselves and that along with a new power backup supply has really made it very reliable and popular with those who have laptops. I have even used my laptop to complete assignments. (Don't let my board know that! hahaha)

Well, that's enough for know. Check back later.

1 comment:

redhead4books said...

Celia,

Your ethusiasm for serving Roanoke is evident in your writing! How does the average age of the Roanoke population impact technology decisions? Would you consider the main users to be those "digital natives" referred to by Courtney? With Internet availability in your library, this may promote more people in your community to visit!

Teresa