Friday, November 14, 2008

Microsoft SteadyState Works

This week the new computer maintenance guy had to work on getting our black and white printer to work again on all of our computers. There were a number of problems with doing this that he had to overcome. The first problem was that the computer's networking capabilities stopped working. There was a piece of electronics attached to the printer that made it network capable that is no longer functioning. The Board is trying to decide if we should replace this part. In the meantime, the computer guy was able to manually network the computer into our system so that each of the library's computers can print to it. Manually networking the printer to the patron computers lead him to problem number two. He attempted this procedure last time he visited the library but the computers reverted back and lost the settings he put in. He was able to figure out that earlier in the year I put Microsoft SteadyState on our computers. This is a program that allows the patrons to do what they will to try to change the computer's setting but when you shut the computer off the computer will resume the same settings as when SteadyState was activated. I was not really sure that this program was working but through this process we found out that it definitely was! The computer guy thus had to go around to each computer and shut off SteadyState, install the new printer settings, while uninstalling our old virus protection, install our new virus protection and turn SteadyState back on. This was a long process but he got it done. Computer 1 which was specially designed by Bill Gates for libraries which has its own built in version of SteadyState is still causing the computer guy fits. Because of all the protections that Gates put on those computers it just hates to be messed with but the computer guy got it so it will print again but now it prints to our big color printer. Every computer guy that has looked at that computer hates it for all the protections that it has on it but personally I wish all the library's computers were like it in that I can let anyone, and I mean anyone on that computer and not have to worry that they will in anyway hurt it because it is practically indestructible. From little, little children to destructive teens to handicapped people, I can rest assured they can do their thing on that computer and it will stand up to them. Unfortunately it is not possible to get any more computers like it or to even find out its configuration, believe me I have tried, so it is nice that SteadyState comes close.

I am coming near the end of my last class for my MLS degree. Because I can see the end in sight, I have taken on another "job" in order to give back something to my community. I have started as the treasurer of the Roanoke Area Heritage Center (the museum). The previous treasurer had to resign due to health concerns and I agreed to take the appointment on.

Remember we are going to need at least one new board member come January. To be a board member, you live within the actual Roanoke town limits, you must have lived in Roanoke for at least 2 years and you must be an adult. If you are interested please contact Lavonne, my assistant or me so we can give you more information of the position.

No comments: