Thursday, February 28, 2008

Celia’s Eighth Blog for Library Systems Class-Amazing “New World” of Technology

In my Web Architecture class, we have an assignment to interview a web master. Since I don't have any close, I decided to email ones that I have used their web sites. I emailed my questions to five web masters. Is it any surprise to any MLS students that the 2 public library web masters responded promptly and fully? I heard nothing from the 2 government sites or the corporation that I also emailed. That again proves that we as librarians really do want to spread knowledge whether it is our own or through resources we have found.

One of the libraries I emailed was the Denver Public Library. During spring break, I am going to Denver. My niece, Amy, has to take her final test to be a doctor in Denver which is why we are going. My sister and I figure that we will have time to discover Denver while Amy is testing. I looked on the Internet for information on Denver. I found out that we are staying in a hotel about 8 blocks from the Denver Public Library. We will in fact be very close to many interesting place including the mint, art museum, state house and other museums. I still find it amazing how easy it is to find that information. I am old enough to remember when to learn that kind of information would have required hours and hours at the local library and the information received may not be as current or as complete. I sometimes want to throw the computer out the window when it doesn't work well, but I can't think how I could get along without one now. If someone comes into the library, I often run to the computer to find out their answer. I search for phone numbers, addresses, books, tax forms and all others kinds of information. How did librarians do this job without a computer? It boggles one's mind to think of it.

I was talking to some 20somethings in my library and we were discussing how much school children learn about computers now days and how computers are a common sight in classrooms. They said that they remember just having a few if any when they were in school. Boy, did I feel old since computers weren't even thought about in school in my day and those that did exist occupied a whole room. Isn't it amazing how schools and even life has changed because of computers and the technology they have brought?

Because of my trip to Denver, the board is meeting on March 3rd over a week earlier than normal. I have to get the end of month reports done on Saturday, March 1. Luckily the local bank is open for a few hours on Saturday so I can hopefully get some kind of bank statement so I can report to the board the library's financial condition. That again is only possible because of computers and technology. Without that technology, there is no way that the bank would have any possible way of getting that information for me for the reports in time for this early meeting.

I was informed by our tech guy that all media inserted into our computers are tested by our antivirus system. That means that it is safe to allow flash drives. The library that has the DVD/CD repair machine we are thinking of buying says that it requires little maintenance. In fact, a maintenance kit came with the machine and they have yet to use it. It just requires a little wiping out after each cleaning. I am hoping that these 2 issues can be finished at this coming board meeting.

I found out on Thursday that we are running out of label protectors. These are clear plastic with adhesive backs that we place over the reused bar codes and book spine labels. Since we are re-shelving and cataloging a lot of our young adult as juvenile where they should have been in the hopes that being shelved and cataloged right they will circulate more we are going through a lot these protectors. I tried very hard to order some through the DEMCO website. I never succeeded at it as that website will never accept my user name or password. I started a small notebook where I keep all the user names and passwords for all the accounts and computers the library has. This has been a lifesaver or should I say memory saver. When I started it I never thought I would have near as many as I do. My board president was going to copy them and have them put into the lock box but when he saw how many there are decided it wasn't worth it. It is amazing that are lives' are now reduced to user names and passwords.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Celia!

Wow, aren't you busy!

It's funny because I remember having a computer lab of Apples in my elementary school when I was younger but not having computers in my classroom until much later. We used the Macs for typing papers on occasion and for playing math games and Oregon Trail (a game I loved so much I now have an old mac simulator downloaded to my computer at home to play it when I feel nostalgic or bored). The amount that kids learn about computers now blows my mind and I don't remember ever not having been around them. We were never around them nearly as much as kids are now. Life for them is on the computer. It's a very different world. I do the same thing you do, in that I am always looking online first for answers. I think in libraries we all are. They are right in front of us and most of us have the knowledge to easily find what we are looking for. Books for answers pretty much always come second. I remember when we weren't allowed to use computers for research in papers, we had to use books. Now, they rarely ever have to have physical resources. They can all be online. It's an interesting, ever changing world we live in.

Denver sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you have a great time!

Alice said...

Celia,

I keep a word document at work filled with my user names and passwords for various programs, etc... Last night I was at IUS and could not correctly remember my user name and password for this blog or for the class wiki! Fortunately except for the really frantic paced days, I remember my own name all on my own.

It has become automatic to look online for answers... Occasionally I will be in the midst of trying to find more computers open, so students can begin researching when it hits me... an encyclopedia would have what they need... The biggest surprise for me, is that when I mention this to the students, often even the ones at the computer will jump up to grab an encyclopedia. On the positive side, the students actually listen to what I say; on the negative, the students still need more skills to get more efficient at online researching (at least I can truly empathize with them.)

redhead4books said...

Celia,

Last summer I immensely enjoyed the Denver Library. Not only is it an architectural masterpiece, but it is highly inviting for visitors. The library is in an opportune location that can easily be incorporated into a fantastic walking tour of the Capitol, Denver Art Museum, U.S. Mint, and the Colorado History Museum. I hope you have a delightful time!
Teresa